Head lice is a bane to any grade school student and her parents. Do you have a story of head lice that wouldn't go away? How far have you had to go before the head lice went? Share your story with other readers and see how others have felt your pain. Why You Hate Head Lice
It's hard on the poor kids
- My daughter is 6 and has had lice 4-5 times since she started going to daycare 3 years ago. I hate that. Her BEST friend of 3+ years has brought it to our home 3 of the times. All three times she spent the night with my daughter, within days, she would have lice. The 4th time my daughter got it at her house. The daycare teachers told me that this poor little girl and her brothers and sisters have lice at least once every couple of months. I know it doesn't mean they are dirty, but all the time. I had to stop the two of them from playing together, and that SUCKS!!! My daughter has extremely thick dark brown hair, and the last time she had it, within 2 days, I spent a total of 15 hours nitpicking while she slept. Now she has nits again, I see NO bugs at all, but 15+ hours again, she is not happy. I know it's something almost every family deals with, but I'm tired of it!!! Fortunately though I have not gotten it. I wish they would disappear.
- —Guest Jessica
- When I was a kid I remember everyone use to have little sleep
overs and share pillows and sleep in sleeping bags together. Well that wasn't me. The day I came home from the sleepover I was constantly itching and scratching. I had very long nails, so every time I itched I would check my nails. About two weeks later I found a louse bug in my NAIL! It was gross. I immediately showed my mom and we did the vinegar treatment. It worked! But ever since that I checked my kids hair about once a month.
- —Guest blah gross
Mom, they're moving
- This was a while ago. My son was 6 and he had a headful of beautiful golden curls. He'd just taken a shower and he called me into the bathroom, alarmed because he something was in hair. I said, "Honey, it's just sand." He said, "No mom, they're moving!' I looked more closely, but I still couldn't believe it. I was in deep, deep denial that MY CHILD could have lice. I must have spent 5 minutes looking at his scalp, trying to convince myself that it just wasn't so, then I got him dressed in a hurry and we immediately went to the pharmacy to get the shampoo. After repeated shampooings, washing all the bed linen and all his clothes and stuffed toys, taking the rug out of his room, and repeatedly combing through his hair with the plastic comb that came with the shampoo, he still had lice. It wasn't until we bought one of those fine-toothed metal combs that we finally got rid of the critters. It took hours of tortuous combing, but the comb did the trick.
- —Guest SusanH
I think I do
- I found dead lice eggs on my son and since then my heads been itching like crazy. I brushed my hair but I dnt see anything. I hope I dnt have them cuz its scary. And its true, if u have lice u should let ur friends and family know this way they can be aware. Good luck everyone.
- —Guest Chonita
Omg This Sucks
- well when i was about three my bestfriend and her sister gave me and my whole family lice and we got rid of it at first by using lice shampoo then about 1 year later we got again we tried mayonaise and it worked for a while but the nwe got it again. so we tried caraseen and it worked but recently i caught it from my cousins and i jus want it to go away!!
- —Guest Love
- This is soo sad nd embarrasing .. I caught head lice from cousins wjen i went on a holiday to china .. Its been almost 5 years and i still have them .. I comb alot .. But the nits or eggs dont seem to go .. What do i do ?? I havnt had a haircut since ;(
- —Guest Sammy
- i was looking in the bathroom mirror when i saw something crawling in my hair i knew it was a lice strait away so i ran downstairs to tell my mum she tried the mayo treatment and it worked try it, it does actually work
- —Guest i hate lice
- i think i have lice just found out...and most ppl dont know they have it
- —Guest me
- I first realized i had lice a few days ago( but is gone now)i woke up around 9:00 and sat down by my mom and then a scratched my head real hard and my mom was like do you have LICE? so she checked my head and found a ton of nits 2 big live bugs and a bunch of baby bugs my mom called my Nana to help get them suckers out I used RID that came with a nit comb!we followed the instructions and was clean but we still saw dead nits in my head. but other than that i was clean! the same night we put olive oil in my hair with a shower cap on and slept with it in and then the next day we washed it out and then checked my head and picked out some dead bugs the we put viniger in my hair to get rid of the nit (that i didn't have) and then i was all clean since then
- —Guest Why Me?
i know how to get rid of them
- Every night for a week and a half wash your hair thoroughly and then rubb neem oil in and then comb it. Normally they are gone between 3-5 days but I reccomend 1 and a half weeks, to be sure that there gone, the only down side is that your hair looks a bit gresy :s but you could always leave it in for an hour and a half then wash it out :) hope i helped, but this truly helps get them away ( worked for me and my sister twice!!) :D
- —Guest ex nit keeper
15 yo with lice, TWICE
- Im 15 years old and live in australia. I havent had lice scince i was 8 but at the start of this year i got lice. I had no idea that i had it untill my FRIEND pointed it out. So embarrassing. I was totally infested. We treated it with the shampoo and comed it 3 times consecutivly for 3 weeks just to make sure. Then christmas day i was in the bathroom (nine months after last time) and i find a baby nymph in may hair. AAAAARRRHHHHHHH. I cant figure out where i got it from becuase it is the summer holidays and i havnt been at school. Anyway it is not something you want to have in your teen years it is so embarrasing and time consuming. I wish there was no such thing.
One more tip: when combing my long think brown hair... The nit come didnt quite do the trick so we bought a dogs flea comb and it was fantastic.
- —Guest 15 and over it!
- When I was in year 3, I caught head lice from school and the had infested! There were like 200 eggs on one strand and my mother combed my hair for hours with conditioner or medicine whatever everyday. I practically had them for three years! My school found out and sent out letters and had talks about being clean, but I am. It's not about that, it's about the head lice which love the hair. So the year after I had my hair cut and I thought I had them out, but I didn't. So I've had nits for about 5 years now and I don't know what to do. I have tried everything! I don't know whether to tell my mum or not.
- —Guest no name
Myth: You must use a pesticide - NO!
- It's a myth that you must use a drug store pesticide to get rid of lice. All you need is good metal comb (where the teeth of the comb don't move), a clean spray bottle (which you put 1 tbsp of conditioner - what you use now - to 1 cup of water and shake). Spritz hair with the conditioner & water mix. Use a rat tail comb (a thin spaced teeth comb which hairdresser use and can be found at drugstores) and comb out all tangles before using the lice comb. Once tangles are out, use the lice comb from the top of the head to the end of the hair. You are literally pulling/dragging out any lice and nits in your hair. Wipe the lice comb on a paper towel before the next swipe through the hair. Cover every part of your hair so that the comb is able to get to every single hair. The comb must be pulled out at the end of the hair as eggs don't "break" but become "unscrewed" and pulled off the end of the hair. Repeat daily for 2 weeks. The first time will take time some time, but lessen daily
- —Guest Head Lice Educator
- I'm 14 nd I had head lice before but last time I had it my dad said that he will cut my hair really short , and now i think iv got head lice again nd I dont want to tell them , I've go thick long hair I wash them every day I care for them so it's not my foult someone at school gave them to me :'(
- —Guest ???
lice is so disgusting
- 5My sister had lice for at least 2 weeks and she gave me at least 5 to 10 lice but the vinigar and robi comb has helped a lot.
- —Guest yuck lice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!