The most common types of rat poison use a common blood thinner to cause internal bleeding in rodents. Touching rat poison is as safe as handling blood thinning medication and is generally not harmful. Ingesting rat poison, on the other hand, is extremely dangerous.
Symptoms of Rat Poison IngestionMost rat poison uses a common blood thinner used by heart attack and stroke victims, warfarin or CoumadinÃÂ®. Another type of rat poison uses thallium sulfate as the active ingredient. Some of the symptoms are similar, and because symptoms may take hours or days to appear, there may not be any way to see which type of poison was ingested.
Victims that exhibit more than one symptom from this list may have ingested one or both types of rat poison.
- bleeding gums
- blood in the urine
- bloody diarrhea
- hair loss
- extensive bruising
- shortness of breath
Rat Poison First AidIf ingestion of rat poison has just occurred, contact Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. More than likely, the victim will need medical attention immediately.
Activated charcoal and syrup of ipecac are available over the counter for immediate treatment of poison ingestion. Never use activated charcoal or syrup of ipecac unless directed to do so by Poison Control!
Reigart, J. Routt, M.D., and James R. Roberts, M.D., M.P.H. RECOGNITION AND MANAGEMENT OF PESTICIDE POISONINGS. 5th Ed. 1999. EPA