Here the readers of About.com First Aid share their most valuable first aid skills. The first aid skills every person, young or old, should know before leaving the nest.
Got a must know first aid skill to share? Leave your own thoughts and check back later to see if your must know skill made the cut.Your Must Know Skill
Throat bee sting
- I was drinking a can of pop and swallowed a bee. It stung me in throat. I threw up the bee, however in discomfort. How do I know the stingers out and how do I get it out. I vomited for awhile after which I'm hoping dislodged it. The doctor advices was to take two anvil and a benedryl if it didn't go away in hour go to the hospital... However I have little faith much can be done
- —Guest Kristen
- I was stung 72 hours ago by a small bee. I had no reaction at first, but a few hours later my foot swelled up and the itching was unbearable. 3 days later the symptoms are finally starting to subside. My foot is returning to its normal size, I take benadryl for the itching. Hopefully the symptoms will be gone by tomorrow
- —Guest Just stung
- Age old remedy is to take unused tobacco out of a cigarette, spit on it and cover the area where the bee stung. The pain will go away almost immediately and it will not swell. But, i am sure in todays world NO ONE would do it like my mom did when i was a child.
- —Guest Johnny Thompson
Bee Stings - Some Words from a Beekeeper
- Hi there - I'm a beekeeper with some intel on bee drugs. First - there is NO NEED to kill a honeybee if it flies near you. In fact, flailing your arms about will provoke a bee! Just let her fly away. Bees only sting for two reasons - you trap it somehow (I kneeled on one yesterday while gardening. Ouch.) or, - you threaten their hive. And let me tell you that as a beekeeper I don't wear protective clothing around my hives and I've seldom stung. Yellow jackets and wasps are another story as they can sting more than once. Learn to tell the difference between a gentle honeybee and a yellowjacket, and you will do yourself a service!
- —Guest Leeann
Incorrect bee sting treatment!
- Totally agree with Ali- by using your fingers to remove an insect's stinger, you exacerbate the problem by releasing even more venom into the person's body (which is particularly dangerous for those with anaphylaxis). Scrape the stinger out instead- a credit card works great for this (Rod Brouhard's response: the length of time a stinger is allowed to stay in the skin has much more to do with how severe the reaction will be than how you remove the stinger. Taking time to dig a credit card out of your wallet is counter productive.)
- —Guest Sara
Keep First Aid Kits in Cars
- At all times, that is! I think it's very important to have a first aid kit, that is in the, car you use everyday and is accessible to you at all times... I remember being one of the first drivers on the scene of an auto accident. A young mother apparently lost control of her car and went head-on into a small tree. However, the damage to her car was intense!! Would you believe out of all, of the cars that had to stop (b/c her car was, in the middle of the road), me and a young guy got out of our vehicles to make sure the woman and her two children were ok. I never really took any "official" first aid classes, however when that old show Rescue 911 was on, I learned a lot regarding, what to do in an emergency. There were pretty graphic re-creations of this show, and I remember a paramedic covering a little girl w/ a blanket, even though it wasn't cold out. It was for the shock she was most likely experiencing. So with this knowlege, me and another person helped a mother and two kids.. :
removing bee stingers
- I keep bees and to tell people that there is no need to scrape the stinger off, just use fingers is irresponsible! If one uses their fingers, they end up squeezing the venom sack, causing the sack to inject more venom into the body. Please review your facts on removing the stingers of all stinging insects.
- —Guest Ali Dyche
CPR a must have skill
- I find this site so very informative and so simple for students to understand. I am a staunch advocate for CPR training. I would love to see it on the school curriculum. EVERYBODY needs to know how. I would also like to see neighbourhoods get together and provide de-fib equipment, to be kept locally and close to hand. Training in how to save lives is a mandatory must. As are sites like this one.
- —Guest firstaidatworkinwestsussex.com
Good stuff worth passing on
- I'm going to recommend this website to my students for "everyday things." When I first stumbled upon Rod's page, within a few words I knew he was a medic. That's how we think and talk. Straight to it. Thanks Rod.