On my ninth birthday, my parents got me a pogo stick. That day, I fell off and broke my wrist.
My doc let me out of the plaster cast right before our family cruise so I could swim in the ocean. Halfway through the cruise, I didn't have to wear the brace anymore. Dad and I went up to the observation deck to watch the sunrise. On the way back, I fell down the stairs and re-injured my wrist.
I wore the brace for three more weeks.
Have a story about a broken bone? Is it funny or sad? How'd you break it? Did you have surgery? Share your stories and read what others say about the joys of broken bones.
- Was snowboarding in Wisconsin for a few days and I was going down a black diamond. Near the bottom of the run it merged with another run and there was a kid coming my direction that failed t check for oncoming traffic. To avoid hitting him I bailed out and rolled a few times landing right on my rib once. I felt it crunch and pop. Got up, went to the chalet bar and had a few beers. Went back out and rode til 9pm. Not going to the doctor as ibuprofen is over the counter and they can't put a cast on it.
- —Guest luke
- I was out riding dirtbikes with a friend when i crashed lightly falling off the bike. When i tried to get up i realized my left arm looked like a Z where the bone broke in half near the wrist and my right wrist was swollen also. I had to ride my bike with one hand and no clutch a mile back to our truck. Well after a 4 hr wait at the ER i had the bone set with no anastesia or pain medication. Then i had to wait 2 weeks with a still broken arm that i could not even use my hand until i could get into surgery. It took a titanium plate and 10 screws to fix my left wrist. Its been 6 weeks post surgery now and its half healed and works again 100%. My right wrist was fractured also but is healed now. Remember. Wrist guards are cheaper than surgery.
- —Guest Rob
- i am a 50 yr old female in good shape and i am a statistic. that common household injury: falling in the shower. i have a tub/shower combo, slipped on the soapy floor and hit my side on the edge of a cast iron tub, after a trip to the er, got confirmation that i broke a rib. now on pain pills and have been told it will heal in time. but it hurts! and as soon as i feel better, i am going to get a mat for my bathtub!! oh yeah, this happened on dec. 31! sure screwed up my plans for new years eve!!!
- —Guest susan
Between the legs Ouchh!!
- I was in Bmx and it was the 3 season and I was goin for the big jump To get more points for my team, so as I was gettin some good air, I was doin about 15 17 km this dude cut me off and he scared me and my foot slipped and as I was about to land I missed my seat and landed on the main bar of my bIke and cracked my Peavies bone .. I screamed so loud that the people on the other side of the track heard me and of so much pain I was in I stopped breathing for 3 mintues and in pain for months and I was hard to go to the toliet ...
- —Guest Drake
Sponsorship No More
- My friends and i recently wrote to Copper Mountain ski resort inquiring about sponsorships for the snowboarding movie we are making. They were happy to help out so we were soon up there and ready to shoot. That day our motto was "go big or go home" but unfortunately i ended up doing both. I approached an eight foot jump way too fast and flew about 15 feet above the top of the jump. At the peak of my flight i leaned too far back and fell 23 feet onto my upper back upside down. Five hours later (i thought i had just pulled some muscles) i went to the clinic there. they told me i had a broken collar bone. Now it is two weeks after the accident and my shoulder is feeling fine but i have found out that the impact also broke one of my left ribs. This was my second run of the season. Fortunately ill be back at it before the year is out!
- —Guest Owen Lyke
- Breakfast: My brother brags about how he's never been to the ER in his life, 2 hrs later: He's riding down a steep hill, tries to turn around and look behind him at the same time, loses controll of his scooter and does an Olimpic worthy double backwards summersault. His friend, my friend and I run up the hill to get my mom and dad, his friend falls and gets a monstra gash in his knee, we eventually get the parents down there, result: My brother's arm is broken and needs surgery to set, he's got burns from the road, gouges from gravel, 4 staples in his head, his friend needs 7 stiches, and my jacket/sling has blood all over it. 9 hours in the ER Moral: Don't Brag.
- —Guest Annie
- Yes went down on my bike wen I hit a road obstacle. I had to drag myself out of center of road since it was not daylight. Three vehicle never slowed so I chilled on the side of the road until found. I am an RN on my way to work. I was airlifted and told them I had a pneumo and broken ribs. I had 5 broken displaced ribs and a pneumo. They said lots of people come off the chopper saying they hurt but very few have already diagnosed themselves. Lol unfortunately my chest tube had no pretty boing on it but LSUHSC rocks.
- —Guest Miram hennigan
all 10 toes
- when I was 8 i was in my uncles basment, and I found a bowling ball. I picked it up, and accidentaly dropped it on my foot. At first I didnt feel pain, so I picked it up again. The pain set in then, and I dropped it on my other foot. I went home screaming in pain, and my parents took me to the hospital. After 4 hours in the waiting room the x-rays showed that all of my toe bones, just the toe tips, were broken. I had to walk in a special splint, which was alot like a really hard flip-flop. After 6 weeks I could were normal shoes again, and my toes are all crooked now.
- —Guest Chris
broken wrist at cheer camp
- I was at cher camp with my new team and during stunting something went wrong, but i just ignored the pain. walking to lunch about 10 mins later i felt my wrist/hand start to throb. I looked at it and it looked like i had a golf ball sticking out ontop of my wrist. turns out i fractured it and had to get a brace as well as a steriod shot to stop the swelling. The shot has left a permanant indention in my skin where it was given to me.
- —Guest meee
PE Class is dangerous!
- I was in 6 th grade and was in pe class. We were running in the cafeteria( slick linoleum floors). I slipped, fell, and broke my atm. I was in a long arm cast for 6 weeks and a removable long arm splint for another 6 weeks! And PE class iss supposed to be safe!
- —Guest Andrea
broken arm during summer
- one time i was at skewl and my friend dared me to jump of the swing i broke my arm cuz wen i landed i braced my fall with my left arm i broke it both of the bone the small one and the big one i had to go for surgy for 4 hours and was in a cast for 4 or 3 weeks it was on the last day of skewl so i couldnt ride my atv or go swimming
- —Guest ck
HEAD ON AUTO ACCIDENT
- AUGUST 24, 2009, 5:00 P,M, I WAS HIT HEADON BY A LADY. IT LEFT ME KNOCKED OUT AND PINNED IN A VOLVO. I HAD TO BE CUT OUT AND HELICOPTER INTO THE MED. THERE I UNDERWENT 5 SURGERIES. MY RIGHT ANKLE AND FOOT WAS CRUSHED. MY RIGHT KNEE AND FEMUR BROKEN. MY LEFT ANKLE BROKEN AND HIP. I HAD A BROKEN PELVIS AND EIGHT RIBS. I STAYED IN REHAB FOR 3 1/2 MONTHS FLAT ON MY BACK. I WAS IN SO MUCH PAIN THAT MEDICATION COULD NOT HELP. I HAD THEORAPY AND HAD TO LEARN HOW TO WALK AGAIN. I CAME FROM WHEEL CHAIR TO WALKER TO CAIN AND NOW BY NO CRUTCH. PAIN HAS GOTTON BETTER BUT I HURT ALL THE TIME. I TAKE ABOUT ONE LORITAB A DAY AND ROTATE WITH 2 ALEVE IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. DOCTORS SAY I HAVE DEVELOPED SEVERE ATHORITIS IN MY ANKLE AND KNEE. I HAVE TROUBLE SLEEPING FOR POSITIONING MY BODY. WHEN I TURN THE PAIN AWAKES ME. MY ANKLE SWELLS WHEN I STAND ON IT. I WEAR AN ANKLE BRACE WHEN WALKING ALOT.
- i was 13 when i broke my leg. i was playing basketball and it had recently stop raining so the court was wet. i went to do a lay up when i slipped and snapped my tibia in half. it was the worst felling ever :[ nw i have to wear a cast and cant play basketball for 6 months.
- —Guest carlos
my broken rib
- I was only 7 years old a I was watching TV and my dad said go to be but i but I watching TV and my dad came in the room and he was trying to give me a spanking I was running away for him I jump onto my bed and I tried and hit rib on to the rocking chair
- —Guest hannah
- I broke my arm when I was on rollerblades. My brother kicked a huge ball at me and I fell forward and my arm took the weight. Broke my collarbone sprinting and fell over a tree root. Sling and a brace for 6 weeks with the threat of surgery. Cracked skull hiring my head on the bathtub. Right ring finger was kicked and broken. 6 weeks in a splint thing. Broken hand slammed in a locker. Broken knee running. Someone collided with me snappig my knee. All that with multiple casts not to mention 3 concussions in between.
- —Guest Cody