Maybe a spider bite?
- I awakened one night and my middle toes was of deep pain and could not sleep all night and had no idea why. When morning finally arrived and I looked at my toe due to intense pain it was brown under the nail and the toes was very red and swollen. The red and swollen part spread to my foot approximately one inch in and then it stopped. I could not figure out what it was and what had happened. My wife said it was probably a spider bite and we then put antibiotic cream on the toe and soaked it often in salt water. The swelling finally went away after two days but the red remained. The toe nail seem to start rising up and could see beneath the nail like I may lose the nail. It has now been two weeks and the nail is on the way to coming off. I have not been able to find a spider bite but have not other answer. I did put a stored pair of shoes on and can only think it was a spider in the toe. I hope the healing is now ok and I never went to the doctor. The skin is still peeling
- —Guest Jim
Painful unknown house spider bite
- It is a quarter inch red bubble on my elbow surrounded by an inch of hard sore skin. Spider bite causes pain throughout the whole arm. Can't figure out what kind of spider that it is.
- —Guest CHAD
25+ bites, lumps
- 14 days ago I noticed itching welts all over my body after awakening. Had spider bites before with welts that went away after a few days. This attck was different More than 25 raised bumps, itching, no bite marks and itching lasting now 14 days. After scratching the itch spots, finally had a small red spot appear. No tissue damage like other readers report. Can't explain why with bites all over my body, I did not crush the culprit.
- —Guest Geezer
A bite from outer space
- one morning I was going to school and my ear was hurting me. It was very itchy and the weird part was it was like a circle but not any kind of circle. It was a dot, a dot another dot and another and another. THEN ONE IN THE MIDDLE so it looked like I was trying to pierce my ear but I wasn't. So I'm all fine the next day comes and my ear is red and sore and right underneath it was a bump. So I thought it was a spider bite then today comes and I have a headache; my jaw hurts and its sooooooooo red and sore I was crying hysterically!!
- —Guest stephanie
What can I do?
- It's been almost two weeks since I woke up with two lumps behind my ear. One a normal looking bite, I knew it had to be a spider bite, but the one above it is right on my bone, and is a hard little knot. They both were getting smaller, espeically the normal feeling bite, but then yesterday, a very humid day, I felt them and they were back to 'normal' like it just happened....now I'm lost and have no idea what to do....
- —Guest Betsy
I was Sleeping and a Brown Spider Bit Me
- I was sleeping and felt a sting on my face, it was a brown spider that had bit me on my face. The next morning my face was swollen and red with a blister like spot. The next day it swelled my face and was having bad pain in my face. Then i started running a fever and then throwing up. I tried ice but the swelling will not go down. I poked the hard blister with a needle to try to get some relief from the pressure, the spot started oozing black pus out and blood. Wolf spiders are common in my apartment complex, but this spider was a medium brown color with long thin legs. What kinda spider is this and what should i do? this has caused a rash like on my face and the site where i was bit is all hard and hurts.
- —Guest Tina
Middle of the Night Spider Bite
- I was sleeping on a couch in my grandparents' garage and when I woke up, I saw this bite and it just started to itch really bad. I thought it was a misquito bite but I saw two fang marks. It was a spider. It is still visible but it hasn't turned any certain color besides it being a little red every now and then. But, always keep a good eye on it :))
Seems to Be a Spider Bite
- I notice one day a worl on my leg, a red dot which looked like a mosquito bit, very itchy and gets swollen when I scratch. There is an open dot very tiny but does not go away, the circle has gotten bigger and red. I've tried ointment, tried itchy spray relief -- nothing!!!
- —Guest arlene
- I have a long swollen spot on my arm. It is about 6-7 inches long and 4-5 inches wide. On the location of the bite there are no openings, but it is very puffy. I remember seeing a spider web fly across the sky the day I noticed the bite, and spraying a bee with water. Nothing seems to work. I don't know what kind of bite it is.
- —Guest Lucy
- My spider bite isn't like those up in the gallery. It has a tiny red dot in the middle with no indication of openings. It was a big bump and it seems to be spreading no matter what we do.
- —Guest zoey
- I woke up one morning with a sore ankle. One day later it was so swollen I could not walk on it for the next 3 days. I'm on day 11 and still swollen and severe pain. Dr. says its a black widow bite. That witch!
- —Guest AZ ROB
Don't Take Spider Bites Lightly
- I was bitten on the thigh, no pain, small sore, itchy. It grew larger over days. The doctor had to open it up to clean it. A home nurse everyday to redress; it took weeks to heal.
- —Guest sheila
vengeance is mine...
- My older brother got bitten by what our parents believed was a spider when he was sixteen. Nasty welt. He had a good stereo that I would sit and listen to. One day while sitting on his bed rocking out I had the unmistakable feeling that something was watching me. I stood up from his bed and found a brown recluse coming right for me. Bye-bye spider. Oddly enough years later I worked for a rural water company and routinely collected black widows. What can I say, I was 18 and wierd. Now I'm 50 and creeped out. Moral of the story, parents please don't take this lightly. Your children could die from one of these small but potentially deadly predators. There are ways to protect them.
Long Lasting Effects
- Last year I was in bed and felt a prick on my left butt cheek. Ow!!! I brushed it off but never found anything under the covers. I got an infection which lasted about 2 weeks in the area before it healed. Several months later it got infected again and lasted about 2 weeks. Last week, it started again. I am not looking forward to having to go see a doctor so he can look at an infected area on my butt, but since it has been reoccurring, I want to see if there is anything for it. Hopefully, they will have something to heal it for good as it is not pretty.
- —Guest Tammy
brown recluse bite
- I worked in a print shop and was bit on the face on a Friday. I didn't know at first what it was but the pain and itching wouldn't go away. By Saturday afternoon I had a lump the size of a quarter and by Sunday it was the size fo a walnut. As I had just started the job I did not have insurance so I did not go to the hospital until the boss saw me on Tuesday with the left side of my face swollen like I had a softball stuffed in my cheek. It was a lab tech at the hospital that suspected a Brown Recluse and one that was found at work later that confirmed. I had IV antibiotics for about 6 hours and had to sign out of hospital against medical advice (had 14 mos old twins at home) and spent the night with my sister. The draining started the next morning and was copious! The next trip to hospital was for debreeding of area- very painful!!! Luckily I healed well with minimal scarring. I have had several spider bites since but they have been minor in comparison. AZ living....