Abdominal pain is one of the most difficult symptoms to identify a cause. The causes of abdominal pain listed below range from relatively minor conditions to life-threatening emergencies.
When to Call 911 for Abdominal Pain
It's important to call 911
when certain signs and symptoms accompany abdominal pain, regardless of the cause. If a victim of abdominal pain is also experiencing any of the following, call 911:
- sudden, severe onset of abdominal pain
- vomiting blood
- bloody diarrhea
- neck, chest, or shoulder pain
- rigid (hard) and tender abdomen
- not able to have a bowel movement, especially with vomiting
- pain between shoulder blades
Abdominal Pain Causes
Here are links to potential causes of abdominal pain; this list is by no means exhaustive.
To add additional items or to ask questions about different causes of abdominal pain, email me