An impaled object in the eye can lead to vision loss and disfigurement. Proper first aid can save the eye.
Time Required: React quickly
- Stay Safe. If you are not the victim, practice universal precautions and wear personal protective equipment if available.
- Call 911. Rapid medical treatment is a must.
- Do not put any pressure on the impaled object or the eyeball.
- Cover both eyes with a bulky dressing, taking care not to put any pressure on either eye. Remember not to put any pressure on the impaled object. Covering both eyes keeps the injured eye from moving and causing more damage.
- This injury will require surgery, make sure the victim does not eat or drink anything.
- If available, a paper or styrofoam cup with a hole in the bottom can slide over the impaled object and cover the injured eye without putting any pressure on the eye or the object.
What You Need