Choosing a fire extinguisher is based on the types of fires the extinguisher will be expected to put out. Fire extinguishers are rated for certain types of fires. The rating for a fire extinguisher helps determine where in the home, office, or car it will be best utilized. Fire extinguishers ratings are:
- Class A - Ordinary combustible solids like paper, wood, and plastic
- Class B - Flammable or combustible liquid fires such as gasoline or kerosene
- Class C - Energized electrical components
Extinguishing AgentsThere are several substances that can be used in fire extinguishers, but the most common are water, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or halon. Water is not safe to use on electrical components, except in special class K devices. Dry chemical extinguishers leave a residue that is detrimental to delicate electrical components like computers. Carbon dioxide (CO2) and halon extinguishers leave no residues behind. Most of the time, dry chemical is the best type of extinguisher for home use.
Fire Extinguisher TechniquesRegardless which class or type of fire extinguisher is used, the basic techniques are the same.
First, choose your fires wisely:
- Only fight a fire that is small and contained
- Do not fight a fire between you and the exit
- Make sure the building is being evacuated
- Make sure someone is calling 911
- Pull the pin on the extinguisher
- Aim at the BASE of the fire (the item that's burning, not the flames) while standing back several feet from the fire
- Squeeze the trigger to discharge the fire extinguisher
- Sweep side-to-side as you discharge the fire extinguisher
Suggested Fire ExtinguishersThis is by far not an exhaustive list. Choose the extinguisher based on the expected types of fires where it will be used.
- Kidde Pro Line Tri-Class Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher
Charge Weight 2.6 lbs 466227 / KID466227
Covers class A, B, and C fires.
- Kidde 466140 Kitchen Fire Away 2-lbs
B and C type fires
- Kidde Halotron 1 ProPlus Fire Extinguisher
UL Rating 5-B:C, Charge Weight 5 lbs - KID466728 Halon extinguisher particularly good for electrical components.