How to Send PhotosTo submit a photo, please email me at email@example.com.
- Use "FirstaidPhoto" as the subject of your email
Photos can be used anywhere on About.com First Aid, including the First Aid Blog. If you are submitting for a specific gallery, use something like "FirstaidPhoto Spider Bites." The current galleries are:
- Use JPG Format
The photos should be saved as .jpg files, and ideally should be a minimum of 500 pixels by 500 pixels. The optimum size for viewing in my galleries is 640x480. If you don't know how to resize photos, don't fret about it; I can do that for you, unless they're too small. As a general rule, it's better to send photos too large rather than too small (but not more than one MB, please, and "landscape" is preferable to "portrait" layout.)
- Send as an Attachment
Please do not embed your photo in the email, but send it as an attachment. See About.com Email for instructions on attaching files to emails for most email clients.
- Please do not Use Special Photo-Share Programs
If you have a special program for saving photos on your hard drive or on the Web (a photo-share program, etc.), please do NOT use that program for sending photos. While they may be convenient for you and your friends and family for sharing photos, we do not have comparable programs for opening them, and the online photos may expire before we even seen them.
- Script and Frames
While attractive at times, fancy frames and comments embedded into the photo may be wasted in the photo layouts. They don't show up well in the small thumbnails, and often distract from the subject of the photo.
- Your full name (first and last)
- Alias, if applicable (such as your forum login name):
- Tell us if you want your full name shown in the photo credit/copyright, first name only, or an alias (delete the unwanted choices). Please note that you may jeopardize your copyright protection if you use anything other than your full name.
- Email address: (will not be displayed)
- A description of the photo. Tell us what we're seeing.
- Please insert this phrase: "I certify that I am the author or sole owner of the material I am submitting to About.com. About.com and its licensees may reproduce, distribute, publish, display, edit, modify, create derivative works and otherwise use the material for any purpose in any form and on any media. I agree to indemnify About.com for all damages and expenses that may be incurred in connection with the material."
However, if you want to include a "read receipt" in your email's configuration, we will be happy to send a receipt back to acknowledge that we have seen it.
Thank you in advance for your patience, and I hope you enjoy seeing your photo online.